Brentknoll Vets are now officially an accredited cat friendly clinic
The International Society of Feline Medicine (ISFM) is the veterinary division of International Cat Care; they work with Veterinary staff to help improve the care that is provided for cats around the world through education, training and awareness.
The Cat Friendly Clinic accreditation was introduced as a means of promoting veterinary practices who focus on creating a stress free (or as little as possible) environment for their feline patients during their visits. It also helps cat owners choose which practice they may wish to take their cat to and gives an indication as to the level of care provided in each clinic.
What it takes to be a 'Cat Friendly' clinic
- Continued staff training
- Understanding and practicing recommended handling of cats
- Regular communication with pet owners
- Suitably cat appropriate premises
- Cat friendly client waiting room
- Consultation rooms - plentiful, suitably stocked, adequate facilities etc
- Hospitalisation facilities - clean and spacious, cat only area, stocked with bedding, toys etc
- Operation theatre and surgical facilities
- Dental facilities
- Diagnostic imaging facilities
- Laboratory facilities
How is Brentknoll cat friendly?
- Our Vets and Nurses continually complete training on everything from food to surgical procedures. This ensures they are always aware of the latest medical advances and available products.
- Our veterinary staff adhere to the handling guidelines recommended by the ISFM - this means avoiding 'scruffing' cats where possible and using a gentle approach. We prefer to take our time so our consultations are longer than the industry average, giving cats time to relax before being examined.
- We work hard to keep our clients up to date with what's going on in the practice. Brentknoll clients can subscribe to our quarterly newsletter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
- Our waiting room has recently been refurbished and designed to be as Cat Friendly as possible, this now includes; Cat parking bays, Cat basket covers, Seperate Cat waiting area away from dogs and raised areas for parking cats at the desk
- Our hospital has a seperate cat ward away from noisy dogs, this ensures their stay with us is peaceful. Our dedicated kennel nurse ensures their litter trays are always clean, fresh food and water is provided and of course plenty of cuddles and games with our range of toys.